The project, for a private developer, involved the purchase of an village hall which was to be demolished and a new single and two storey apartment block constructed, housing one and two bedroom appartments.
WGM Consulting Engineers duties were/as as follows:
- Survey of existing utility services and arrange disconnection
- Assess building load and obtain quotations for all utilities
- Produce a co-ordinated utility services plan including water and electrical distribution schematics
- Carry out SAP calculations and report, to ensure compliance with the Scottish Building Standards
SAP report included recommending the following:
- increased U Values, solar panelling, whole house heat recover, high efficiency boiler system and energy efficient lighting
- Carry out the full mechanical and electrical design, including specifications to meet the Client’s scope and the end users scope (The Highland Council)
- Attendance at monthly site meetings with Client, design team and contractor
- Comment on the contractor’s installation.
This project has only reached the construction phase of the programme within the last month and therefore some of the duties are still to be carried out.
The lead engineer on the project was Niall Ryan and supported by Bronek Korda.